The more intentional you are about caring for your jewelry, the longer it will last.
Remove your jewelry before doing any activity that risks physical damage.
As a general care tip, your jewelry should be the last thing you put on before going out and the first thing you remove upon coming home.
Gold-filled can last beautifully for many years. But we’ve found that the wrong chemicals, when left on the surface of your pieces, can cause the gold to darken more quickly than it should. There are chemicals in a lot of things (even you!), and it’s important to be aware of the factors that can cause tarnishing. We’ve included a list below of some of the worst and most common factors that cause tarnish.
Just don’t do it with jewelry on...it’s like a nasty chemical bath that will most likely party (in a bad way) with your gold. The chemicals used to kill bacteria in pools create a harsh environment for jewelry, and they’re even more concentrated in hot tubs.
“body chemistry” is a bit of a wild card. The simple fact that people’s hormones are different and a variety of things may come out of their pores makes this a difficult factor to nail down. But it’s a real thing that can cause the metal under the gold to tarnish more quickly for some people. For 90% of people, it’s a love match. For the other 10%, pieces might not be quite as sparkly after a few months.
Perfume, hairspray, lotions...and worst of all, sunscreen! Try to minimize these kinds of things ending up on your jewelry by putting your jewelry on last or taking it off for certain activities. Here are a list of some common products:
Sunscreen, Perfume, Unscented Lotion, Perfumed Lotion, Cleaning Products with Bleach, Mild Dish Soap (if rinsed off), Nail Polish Remover, Hairspray.
When not being worn, store in a safe, dry place to protect against the elements of daily exposure.
Store pieces separately to avoid damage.
Ensure pieces are completely dry before storing.
925 Sterling Silver is a lightweight metal made of 92.5% pure silver. It’s highly durable and designed for everyday wear.
Proactive maintenance is the best way to prolong the lifespan of sterling silver.
Clean with a soft, damp cloth. To remove tarnish, buff gently with a silver polishing cloth.
Ultrasonic cleaners are safe to use on silver jewelry.
Just don’t do it with jewelry on...it’s like a nasty chemical bath that will most likely party (in a bad way) with your silver. The chemicals used to kill bacteria in pools create a harsh environment for jewelry, and they’re even more concentrated in hot tubs.